Savannah Distracted Driving Accident Attorney

Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injuries and deaths around the country. Along with the development of technology has come an increase in potential distractions that could lead to car accidents. If you were injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, you might be entitled to monetary compensation. You should consider speaking with a lawyer right away to discuss your next steps. Contact us today to set up a free and confidential consultation.

Common Causes of Distracted Driving

Distracted driving comes in all forms, and almost all car accidents occur because of this, at least in part. According to the United States Department of Transportation, whatever takes your hand off the steering wheel or your mind or eyes off the road while driving is a distraction. The most common types of distractions include the following: 

  • Text messaging while driving
  • Talking on the phone while driving
  • Talking to passengers in the car
  • Eating while driving
  • Driving while under the influence 
  • Listening to a podcast or an audio book while driving

Why Hire a Distracted Driving Accident Attorney?

If you’re involved in a car accident caused by someone else, you might be suffering from serious injuries and extensive property damage. While insurance claims are sometimes enough to cover your costs, this isn’t always true. If your medical expenses or property damage is particularly high, you could be out a lot of money. If this is the case, an experienced personal injury attorney who handles car accident cases can help you recover the compensation you deserve. They can help you negotiate with insurance companies, or file a personal injury claim in civil court if necessary. 

While it’s understandable that lawsuits and money probably aren’t the first thing on your mind after an accident, it’s important that you take certain steps to help your case should you decide to file a lawsuit in the future. After the accident, take photographs of the scene and any visible injuries you suffered. Additionally, photograph the damage to your car, the other party’s car, and any other property of yours that was damaged in the accident. When you seek medical attention, always obtain your records so you and your lawyer can provide this evidence to the court when necessary, and keep track of your medical expenses to help calculate how much compensation you’re entitled to. Always follow the suggestions of your doctor and follow through with your treatment plan.

Statute of Limitations 

If you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit, there is a deadline by which you must file. If you don’t file by that date, you will lose out on the chance to collect any monetary compensation, regardless of how strong your case would have been. In Georgia, you must file your claim within 2 years of the date of the accident. This might sound like a long time, but the sooner you speak with a lawyer and file your claim, the better. Your attorney needs time to investigate your claim, speak with witnesses, and gather evidence. If you wait too long, video evidence might no longer exist, and witnesses may have moved away or not recall the details of the accident.


After a car accident that was caused by someone else, you may be entitled to monetary damages. Your lawyer will help determine what a fair amount is by calculating your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other monetary losses you suffered as a result of the accident. The most common types of damages you can recover when filing a car accident claim include the following:

  • Medical expenses, such as hospital visits, ambulatory services, diagnostic tests, medication, rehabilitation, and other expenses you incur because of your injuries
  • Lost wages from the amount of time that you have been out of work due to your injuries.
  • Lost future wages, which is calculated by determining the prognosis of your injury and when you will be able to return to work. You are entitled to collect monetary compensation for future lost wages; you don’t just have to settle for the lost wages you experience up until the date of the lawsuit.
  • The cost to repair the damaged vehicle and other personal property that was damaged in the accident.
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering
  • Other non-economic losses, such as loss of companionship, loss of enjoyment of life, and disfigurement. 

The majority of car accident claims are handled outside of court, settling before going to trial. Your attorney will make sure that you receive a fair settlement offer. If you don’t, they will litigate your case in court to fight for what you deserve. 

Recover Damages When You’re Partially at Fault

Many people wonder, and often assume, that if they’re at all responsible for the accident, they can’t recover compensation for their injuries. Fortunately, this isn’t the case. Georgia car accident claims are governed by modified comparative negligence. This means that the victim can recover compensation from the other party as long as it is determined that the victim is less than 50 percent at fault. If they’re 50 percent or more responsible, the victim cannot recover anything. 

Once a determination is made about the responsibility of the victim, any compensation awarded by the court will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to the victim. For example, if the victim is 40 percent at fault and was awarded $100,000, they will take home 60 percent of the award, or $60,000.

Contact Our Savannah, Georgia Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys Today

If you were injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s negligent and distracted driving, you are entitled to compensation. The first step is to find a lawyer who understands this area of law who can ensure that you receive what you deserve. The lawyers of Bowen Painter Trial Lawyers have significant experience handling these types of cases. When you hire us, we will keep you updated every step of the way and do whatever it takes to make sure you get the compensation you need. Call (912) 335-1909 or contact us online anytime to set up a free consultation.