How to Get a Car Accident Report in Georgia

In Georgia, obtaining a car accident/police report following a car accident can be done in several ways.


The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) offers a platform called “BuyCrash” for this purpose. Using BuyCrash, you can search for and purchase your accident report for a nominal fee. To locate your report, you’ll need important details such as the accident date, location, and potentially your vehicle’s VIN (vehicle identification number). This method is efficient and user-friendly, facilitating quick access to your necessary documentation.

Requesting the Report Directly

If you prefer not to use the online system, you have the option to request your report from the law enforcement agency that responded to your accident. This can be done by visiting the specific police department, sheriff’s office, or Georgia Highway Patrol post in person, or by submitting an open records request form via GDOT’s website.

Picking Up the Report in Person

When opting to pick up your police report in person, ensure you go to the exact law enforcement office that handled your accident. It’s advisable to confirm the availability of the report in advance, as preparation might take a few days post-incident. Additionally, verify the office hours and any necessary documents you need to bring along.

What If I Don’t Know Which Law Enforcement Agency Responded to the Crash?

If you are unsure about which law enforcement agency responded to your car accident, there are a few steps you can take to identify the appropriate agency. Start by contacting your local police department or the non-emergency number of the law enforcement agencies in the vicinity where the accident occurred. Provide them with the specific location and time of the incident, as this information may help them track down the responding unit.

Additionally, the BuyCrash website simplifies the process by allowing you to search for your report using details like the accident’s location, date, and your vehicle’s VIN, thereby eliminating the need to know the specific responding agency.

Can I Get an Accident Report If I Didn’t Call the Police?

In instances where no police officer reported to the scene of the accident, obtaining an official accident report is not possible. Creating a personal “accident report” can be valuable for documenting the incident from your perspective.

While this personal report isn’t recognized by governmental bodies, it can be helpful when dealing with insurance claims. This documentation can serve as useful evidence when negotiating with insurance companies, offering a detailed account of the incident and supporting any claims made.

How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Me Get the Report?

Securing a motor vehicle accident report can be a streamlined process with the assistance of a car accident lawyer. Lawyers, including our personal injury attorneys in Savannah, have access to extensive resources, including legal support staff, that can efficiently obtain the necessary documents. This retrieval is a crucial aspect of gathering evidence to support your personal injury claim against the responsible party.

By working with an experienced Savannah car accident lawyer, you can dedicate your attention to recovering from your injuries while they handle the administrative burden. This approach ensures that you are thoroughly prepared to pursue fair compensation for your damages.

If you have questions or need help, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.